Thursday, April 21, 2011

Coverage Declined Because of Your Website

If you’re shopping for Massachusetts business insurance please be aware that the first place most
insurance company underwriters look to determine your scope and scale is your website.
I have seen more than one business policy non-renewed or cancelled because the website lists
something that the insurer doesn’t like. It’s important to understand that your insurance companies
don’t like it when you have too much going on.

I had a friend refer me to his dad. Their primary operations include sewer work. His crew does mostly
septic tie-ins and pipe laying. He has equipment for this type of stuff. The crew takes extra training so
they will be the best in the business for this type of service.

I’m getting him some new quotes. I think we’re looking good. I’m excited because perhaps I will be
writing the insurance for him. Then the phone rings...Out of 7 possible companies, no one will quote on
it because they went to his website.

Upon further inspection, I see why they don’t want to insure him.

According to the website he is not just an excavation contractor. He’s a general contractor. That means
he’s in charge of the jobsite and all permits and all liability. The site also says he does DEMOLITION!
(Just watch the video as the wall comes crashing down) This is NOT GOOD!!
I asked him about the site. Do you do any general contracting? NO, but I could...Do you do demolition?
NO, but I could...

Keep your website focus on what you do primarily. If you are a contractor and you do only framing, or
only siding and windows, don’t list demolition on your website. If you sell cars, but don’t service them,
don’t list car repair on your site.

These companies don’t take your word for it either. According to them, it’s on there, then it must be
true.

Before your website causes problems, please give us a call today. www.jmdins.com
Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment