Saturday, January 8, 2011

That won't happen to me...

Recently I was offered an option to replace my Massachusetts Home Owners Insurance policy. My coverage was with Massachusetts Property Insurance Underwriting Association. MPIUA; The Fair Plan. www.mpiua.com The premium was high, in my opinion and I'm the agent.

We do shop coverage. We have access to many carriers. In this case my home insurance was renewing and I had a chance to save $500 a year. The only difference was I had to take a $5000 wind deductible instead of $2500. I figured that if I can go 5 years without a claim, then I would be even. What ever could happen, It wasn't going to happen to me, RIGHT???... WRONG!!!

Less than 3 months after I had changed carriers we had a bad "wind" storm. That storm took down a massive (dead) willow tree in my neighbors back yard. Yes, my neighbors tree. (It's my responsibility to insure my stuff, not my neighbors) That tree crushed two sheds, one uninsured convertible, a small boat, and a ton of camping, fishing, skiing, snowboarding, equipment. Tools, misc stuff...

It was a total loss. The insurance carrier (that shall remain nameless) took a couple of weeks to show up. The adjuster came by, shook his head and said..."It's a total, I can see that". He took some pictures and said send me a list of the damaged items.

The total claim I submitted was about $15000. Right off the top went $5000 for that " wind" deductible. They depreciated everything. I mean, what's a 10 year old snowboard worth, not much? We settled at $7300 = or -. That's alot less than $15000.

The insurance carrier treated me exactly in accordance with the policy that I purchased. I didn't make out on the savings of $500. The change of deductible cost me $2500.

What could happen I said..."It's not going to happen to me". Right? Before bad things happen to you, see us at www.jmdins.com for professional, honest insurance advice.

We've been down the road before. Please contact us today.

Thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment