Thursday, January 20, 2011

How to know when you're old...

Sometimes it hits you right between the eyes. You can never anticipate what words will come from your childs mouth. Just laugh and take it in stride.

Last night I had an epiphany. At that moment I realized, I am old. Not old and "in the way" like some might think. Just a old in the sense of how my children look at me. To them I am the authority figure. The guy who says NO to another bowl of ice cream. The one that has to break the news that no one will be leaving the table until dinner is done. ( and turn off that TV too)

Just like generations before, adults are perceived as a drag by younger generations. Studies have shown that a 6 year old child will smile more than 300 times per day. An adult age 34 only smiles 150 times. Something is getting lost in between.

We can debate the reasons for that another day.

Right now I want to get on living, smiling, enjoying my childrens company. I love listening to their comments good, bad and ugly!

Our conversation revolved around motorcycles. I'm 42 now. I'm pretty sure they had motorcycles back then?

<a href="www.jmdins.com">www.jmdins.com</a> for down to earth insurance advice. For family advice see Lucy, Charlie Brown's advisor. $.05

No comments:

Post a Comment